HOUSING STANDARDS VIOLATION FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
As our Housing Inspectors are in the field ensuring the health and safety of the citizens of Keene, some common questions have arisen and here are the answers:
* How many people can live in a single dwelling?
-There can be only 4 unrelated persons per dwelling (house, or apartment)
* Where can I park my car on my property?
-Parking is only allowed on approved (by the City) surfaces (paved, concrete,
gravel, not dirt) not including walkways and/or sidewalks.
All required parking has to be onsite and the owner is required to provide this
* What is a legal access to a parking space?
-Parking areas are accessed by the curb-cut and driveway, not across sidewalks etc.
* Why did I get a ticket for litter/trash?
-You can get a ticket for litter and for trash that is not placed in
-You can get a ticket for overflowing receptacles including dumpsters.
* Who is responsible for the maintenance of the building I live in?
-It is the property owner’s responsibility to maintain the walks, steps and building
both inside and out.
* Can I store unregistered vehicles on my property?
-No unregistered vehicles shall be parked on any property in excess of fourteen
-Can I store inoperable vehicles on my property even if they are registered?
No inoperable vehicles shall be parked on any property in excess of fourteen days.
* Is there a place online where the minimum requirements for Property and Housing Safety
Standards can be viewed?
-The minimum requirements can be found in the City of Keene Zoning Ordinance,
Chapter 18: Property and Housing Safety Standards at Municode.com at this link:
* I have more questions that are not addressed here, where can I get information?
-Any questions or to file a complaint call 603-352-5440; or use our online form here