Note: Please read our non-discrimination policy below.
STEPS IN THE HIRING PROCESS
1. The job opening is posted on the “Current Job Opportunities” page.
2. Application materials are accepted in Human Resources (HR) until the deadline. Late applications cannot be considered.
3. Application materials are sent to appropriate review team for consideration.
4. An acknowledgement of each application is sent by HR.
5. Initial candidates are selected for interview by the review team.
6. Applicants not selected for interviews are notified by HR.
7. Interviews are scheduled and conducted.
8. The final candidate is determined.
9. Reference checks are conducted.
10. A recommendation to extend a conditional offer is forwarded to the City Manager.
11. If approved, a conditional offer is made by the department; background checks are conducted and appropriate exams or screenings are conducted.
12. Criminal and driving records requests are processed through state agencies; references are checked.
13. Interviewed candidates not selected are notified.
14. Physical examinations and drug tests are conducted, if applicable.
Police Department may exercise selective referral sources unique to its needs and make offers based on current standard practice, as identified in Police 063101, Recruitment, 063201A, Selection Process, and 063202A, Applicant Backgrounds. For employment as a Police Officer, click here.
Fire Department may utilize Fire Standards and Training Authority lists to determine candidate availability and interview candidates from that list. Individuals wishing to become a Firefighter/EMT must pass the New Hampshire Statewide Entrance Examination for Firefighters. This exam is administered by the New Hampshire Department of Safety, Division of Fire Standards and Training and Emergency Medical Services, on a periodic basis. Details are available here.
It is the intent of the City of Keene to ensure compliance with the requirements of all federal and state non-discrimination laws. It is our policy to recruit, employ, train and promote people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The goal of the hiring process is to determine whether job applicants are fit for a particular job. In today's competitive environment, the City must hire, develop, and retain the most qualified, effective, and safe candidates.
The City does not discriminate in employment opportunities or in practices. We accept employment applications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including your selection; job assignment; compensation; terms, conditions, location, or privileges of employment; access to benefits and training; discipline; and termination.