Park & Walk Community
Throughout the planning process, participants envisioned a system that integrates motor vehicles, public transportation, pedestrians, and bicycles into a network of services and facilities. This network is encompassed in the “park-and-walk community” concept. Public transportation, pedestrian and bicycle access should be incorporated in transportation infrastructure and land-use planning decisions.
The concept of a park-and-walk community involves motorists parking in defined locations and finding convenient transportation options during their time in the community by means of public transit, walking or bicycling.
This concept enables a variety of benefits including:
- Enhanced mobility for residents and visitors
- Reduced traffic congestion in retail areas
- Reduced vehicle emissions
- Promotion of private investment
- Preservation of public infrastructure investment
- Improvement of public health by integrating physical activity into daily routines