Frequently Asked Questions of the Keene Police Department

My job requires me to be fingerprinted. Does Keene Police do fingerprinting?
The hours for fingerprinting are Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:00 AM to 1:30 PM and on Thursday from 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. (Fingerprinting is not available on Mondays or Fridays). Currently the fee for Keene residents with an ID is $15.00 and for non-residents the fee is $35.00. On April 17, 2017 the fee will increase for Keene residents to $20.00 and non-residents to $40.00. We accept cash or check. The check should be made out to City of Keene. Please bring the fingerprint card provided to you by your employer.

How do I obtain a Pistol/Revolver License?
An application for a license to carry a concealed/loaded pistol/revolver may be obtained through the Records Division or directly from our web site for Keene residents only. City of Keene residents should submit the application to the Records Division at K.P.D. Once submitted, the process takes 14 business days. If the application is denied, the applicant will receive written notification of the reason for such denial. The Records Division will not call you with the status of the license. You may call the Records Division at 357-9815 after 14 days to see if the license has been issued. A copy of a valid driver's or non-driver's ID will be required when you pick up the license. A $10.00 fee is due when you pick up your license. The Records Division is open weekdays from 8:00 AM until 3:30 PM.

If you are a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your New Hampshire license, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there. It is extremely important that all license holders be aware of the laws and requirements of all reciprocating states when visiting/traveling. Possession of a license does not supersede any other state's laws or license requirements. License holders are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting.

How do I collect on a bad check?


NH RSA 638:4 - Issuing Bad Checks - reads, in part:  "...It is an affirmative defense that the actor [issuer] paid the amount of the check, together with all costs and protest fees, to the person to whom it was due, within 14 days after having received notice that payment was refused.  The actor's failure to make payment within 14 days after receiving notice that payment was refused shall be prima facie evidence of a violation..." 

As a result, in accordance with the law, you should initially:

  • Send a certified or registered letter to the issuer at the address shown on the check. 
  • Send the certified or registered letter with a Return Receipt requested.
  • Describe the check in the letter and demand payment and any related charges in full within 14 days.  Do not accept partial payments or enter into a time payment agreement.  Such payments or agreements damage possible criminal prosecution if the issuer does not live up to the agreement.
  • In the letter advise the issuer that you will turn the matter over to the Keene Police Department for prosecution if you do not receive payment in full within 14 days.
  • If you do not receive your money in full, report the matter to the Police Department immediately.  Don't wait another day longer.  Time can be of the essence in some criminal investigations.

Because the Keene Police Department is not a collection agency, once you refer a bad check complaint to us for criminal investigation and possible criminal arrest of the issuer, we respectfully request that you do not subsequently accept payment of the check unless authorized by the investigating officer


Typically, most checks that are returned by the bank marked NSF (Insufficient Funds) are innocent bookkeeping errors made by the issuer. Checks that are written on closed accounts and returned with the notation "Account Closed" are still covered under the Bad Check statute.  As a rule, a simple phone call to your customer may be enough to rectify the matter. 

However, all too often, individuals issue checks knowing that there is an insufficient balance in the account.  If you are unable to rectify the matter with a single phone call, there are two processes available to you to attempt to recoup your money:

  • Filing a Small Claims action in the Keene District Court, as provided under RSA 544-B; or,
  • Reporting the matter to the Keene Police Department.

It is the policy of the Keene Police Department to investigate all bad check cases regardless of the dollar amount.


  • Complete information on the employee or person who accepted the check:  name, address, DOB, SSN, home phone, employment position, etc.
  • The original check.  (You should maintain a copy for your files.)
  • Clear copies of the letter, envelope, the postal receipt and documentation, and the record of or any other communication(s) generated relative to your attempts to collect on the check.
  • Any other business documentation you may have on file, such as courtesy card information, video camera surveillance tapes, etc.

If you have any additional questions regarding our policy or what you should be doing to limit your exposure, please contact the Keene Police Department at 357-9813.

My son/daughter runs away from home what can I do?
A missing or runaway child should be reported to the Keene Police Department immediately. Parents need not wait an amount of time to make a report. Parents should have some information available for the officer when he/she arrives at your home such as, places he/she may run to or who with, state of mind the juvenile may be in, medication prescribed, and current photograph.

How do I obtain a copy of a Police Report?
Please contact the Records Division prior to coming in for a copy of any report. (603) 357-9815. We will be happy to check if the report is completed and if there are any restrictions for its release.

How do I obtain a Domestic Violence Petition (DVP)/Restraining Order?
You need to apply at the District Court in your City or Town. The order will be faxed to the local police. Advocates are available to help with the process.

How is the order served?
The order can only be served in hand (in person) by a police officer. The order can be served at place of employment or residence. The order will be served as timely as possible.
All reasonable attempts are made to locate the defendant. The petition is NOT IN EFFECT until served to the defendant. If problems arise prior to service being made, the plaintiff should contact their local authorities and advise them of the problem at hand. Service of the petition will be attempted at that time.

What happens if an address is not available?
All un-served restraining orders that do not contain a valid address remain on file at the police station. Officers have access to these orders 24 hours a day should an address become available. The plaintiff is advised to notify the station of any updated information.

What do I do once it's been served?
The temporary restrictions must be followed by the defendant and plaintiff until appearance in court. You need to appear in court on the date listed on the petition to address charges. The court then decides whether or not the order will continue or be revoked.

What if the DVP is not served prior to the court date?
The plaintiff must still appear in court on the specified date. A hearing cannot be held without the defendant's presence. The court may then issue a new court date and continue the temporary orders.