Marriage Licenses

Couples who wish to get married in the State of New Hampshire must file for a marriage license.

Marriage is the legally recognized union of two people. Any person who otherwise meets the eligibility requirements under State Statute (Chapter 457) may marry any other eligible person regardless of gender.

Where to file:

Both local residents and those from out-of-state can apply in the office of any town or city clerk in the state of New Hampshire.  If you choose to apply for your license in the Keene Clerk's Office, you must make your application between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. The office is open Monday through Friday.

How to file:

Both parties appear before the City Clerk

Complete the application for a marriage license

Effective January 1, 2015, New Hampshire State Law (RSA 5-C:41 ll-a), has gone in effect relative to changing your legal name.  Each applicant should be prepared to state on their marriage license application what their name will become, subject to the parameters dictated in the above law reference. 

Provide certified copies of divorce and/or death certificates for any previous marriages or civil unions, as well as photo identification to confirm date of birth (example: driver's license or passport)

Fee:  There is a $50.00 license fee

Waiting period:

There is no waiting period in New Hampshire, the license becomes valid for use upon issuance.

When and where the license can be used:

The license is good for 90 days from the date of application

The license is good anywhere in New Hampshire

Obtaining your marriage Certificate after the Ceremony:

After the marriage Ceremony is performed, the officiant will return the certificate to the city/town clerk of issuance (Normally within 6 working days)

Once the certificate is received from your officiant, you can then request a Marriage Certificate from the clerk's office

You will be expected to appear in person to request the certificate, or you may request the certificate by mail. Go to our Vital Records page for more information regarding requesting the record by mail. An online form which can be downloaded and sent in to request the certificate by mail is available under our "how do i" menu.

A fee of $15.00 will be charged for issuance of the certified copy

Obtain further information by calling the City Clerk at 603-352-0133.