Keene Cities for Climate Protection Committee (CCP)
The CCP Committee was officially created in 2000 by the City Council. The committee’s objective is to aid in the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions by assisting the City to implement the adopted climate action plans within the community, as well as to provide public education and outreach and advocate for changes in climate change policy at the State level.
Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
There are many ways that you can reduce your own carbon footprint. Here are just a few to start:
• Drive Less – Bicycle and walk more, or use public transportation.
• Build Green - When building or remodeling, use sustainable materials and practices.
• Buy Local Food - Buying locally produced food reduces the energy required to transport your food and it helps support local farmers and food producers, keeping money in our local economy. Join a Community Support Agriculture (CSA) farm or shop at a local farmers market or food cooperative. For more information:
• Reduce - Avoid purchasing disposable items and products with lots of packaging.
• Reuse - One person's trash is another's treasure. Share your treasures and find some of your own. Check out thrift stores, salvage yards and garage sales.
• Recycle - It really makes a difference. Make the extra effort to rinse out your spaghetti sauce jars, soup cans, and plastic soda bottles.
• Set up a backyard Compost - Composting food waste for the garden helps return valuable nutrients to the soil. The City of Keene recycling center sells compost bins to Keene residents for a discounted price.
• Buy Sustainable Products - Learn about and purchase sustainable products. Check out www.thegreenguide.com
• Support Sustainable Businesses - visit www.keenechallenge.com to find a list of Keene businesses that are members of the 10% Challenge program.
City of Keene Climate Change Action Plan (2004)
City of Keene Climate Change Adaptation Action Plan (2007)
City of Keene Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory Report (2000)
Climate Adaptation Training for Local Governments
City of Keene Climate Change Program
c/o City of Keene Planning Department
3 Washington Street
Keene NH 03431