Dog License

Dog licenses are required in the State of New Hamshire, and must be renewed yearly by April 30th.  Click here for more information and to access a mail-in license form. Licenses can also be renewed online by visiting our Online Dog Licensing Portal and searching for your dogs by your last name.

  • Disclaimer: To use the online payment option for dog licensing you must be renewing a license with the City of Keene and your dog’s rabies vaccination must be current.  You will not be able to use the online payment option if you are requesting a Kennel license (5 or more dogs), or if you owe the City a Forfeiture fine.


Click here for information about current job opportunities and the hiring process.

Marriage License

Apply for a marriage license at the City Clerks Office in City Hall.  More information is available here.

Outdoor Event License

Outdoor periodic events shall include athletic exhibitions, public dances, circuses, carnivals, live performances, exhibitions, promotional activities and any similar periodic activity open and available to the public which is conducted outdoors.

Temporary Sign License

This license is available to non-profit entities, and allows them to erect a temporary sign adjacent to the Post Office or at Fuller Park to advertise upcoming events. Submit completed application to the City Clerks Office in City Hall.

Vendor License

Hawkers and Peddlers or Itinerant Vendors must have a local license to operate in the City of Keene. Submit completed application to the City Clerks Office in City Hall.

Raffle License

Non-profit entities wishing to hold a Raffle in the City of Keene must obtain a license. Submit completed application to the City Clerks Office in City Hall.

Sidewalk Cafe License

Placement of tables and chairs on the downtown city right-of-way requires a city license. Submit completed application to the City Clerks Office in City Hall. Additional approval from City Council is required for serving of alcoholic beverages. 

Solicitation License

Door-to-door solicitation, and solicitation occurring on private property must obtain this permit. Submit completed application to the City Clerks Office in City Hall.

Use of Public Ways

Parades, walk-a-thons, foot and bike races require a permit from the City Clerk. If street closures are requested, City Council must approve the license as well. Submit completed application to the City Clerks Office in City Hall.

Vital Record (Birth, Death, Divorce, Civil Union or Marriage Certificate)

Vital records can be obtained from the City Clerk's Office.  Please use the attached links below to navigate to the appropriate request form.

Genealogy search

Birth certificate

Death certificate

Divorce certificate

Marriage certificate



Online Request Vital Record (Birth, Death, Divorce, Civil Union or Marriage Certificate)

You may order a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage record online using your credit card through our only approved Internet ordering service, VitalChek Network Inc.

The Keene City Clerk does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network Inc.  VitalChek can be reached through its website .  An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, Mastercard®, or Visa®.

Other internet vendors are not authorized by the Keene City Clerk and may charge additional fees without providing approved services.  Neither the Keene City Clerk nor VitalChek have control over the services and fees other Internet vendors offer and charge, nor can we guarantee the confidentiality of any vital record data provided to venders other than VitalChek.

 Online Requests via VitalChek



Building Permit
Commercial - Fact Sheet - Application
Residential - FAQ's - Application
Swimming Pool - Fact Sheet - Application
Demolition - Application

Burn Permit
A burning permit is required to kindle an open fire including but not limited to cooking fires, camp fire and burning of brush. To obtain a burn permit please come into either fire station (31 Vernon St or 110 Hastings Ave) to be issued a permit. There is no charge for a burning permit but a permit is required even when it is raining or the ground is covered with snow. To obtain a permit you must be the owner of the property or have written permission from the owner. No burning is allowed between the hours of 9am and 5pm unless there is snow cover or it is raining. Seasonal permits are available for people who would like to burn on a regular basis. Other rules and regulations apply and will be explained when the permit is issued.

Fire Prevention Permit
A Fire Prevention Permit Application must be completed to be issued a Permit for the following: Oil Burner, New Assembly Permit, Smoke Detector Install, New and Modified Fire Alarm, New and Modified Sprinkler Install, Oil & LP Tank Install, Blasting, Fireworks, Hood Suppression and Cutting Welding. Submit completed application along with applicable fees to the Fire Prevention Bureau (see Fee Schedule). More information is available here.

Food License
For the sale and preparation of food products at any permanent or temporary food service establishment.

Pistol Permit
To carry a loaded piston or revolver in a motor vehicle or to carry a concealed loaded pistol or revolver.

Outdoor/Indoor Areas

Use Of Central Square
To use Central Square Bandstand

Use Of Horseshoe Pavilion
To hold events or reserve

Use Of Railroad Square
To use Railroad Square

Recreation Center
Use of rooms in Recreation Center building

Wheelock Playground Building
Use of Playground building in Wheelock Park

Pool Party Reservation - Please contact the Recreation Center 603-357-9829 for information.
Wheelock Park or Robin Hood Park Pool use